Twitter Info Threads
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
I like to ramble about things on twitter. Sometimes these are interesting long threads, so I'm going to try to collect them here.
Aliexpress/ebay/amazon is full of Weird Junk
- Censored Hello Kitty, creepy masks, giant vegetable pillows,
- There are no vape phones, but you can punch beekeepers, sadden your beard, and wear haunted masks
- Tiny phones!
- Weird connectors, like connecting to PCI over DVI
- Strange SD cards and Mini-PCIe cards
- Power USB devices with 9V batteries, or spin your BBQ rotisserie spit from USB
- Save me USB adapters! And the secret behind USB yfrjgbntkm
- Industrial connectors: Because sometimes you want to screw in your USB-C connector
- USB cables come in the same types as romance novels
- Sex toys, to ensure porper pressure on your tender skin
- Strange novelty phones
- Who needs a 9-key keyboard?
- Industrial keyboards on ebay
- Custom/industrial keyboards on ebay
- The government deals site has paintings, police soda machines, and driving simulators
- I was bored at a Guitar Center and took a bunch of pictures of musical stuff
- Does ebay have SATAN? on VHS? Oh yes
- What about Jesus? On VHS? Yes as well.
- Point of Sale keyboards
- Waterproof Connectors
- Old IBM computer controllers, with a tangent into how Williams Tubes Memory worked
- Anti-barking devices, mice, and USB drives
- Cat carriers & backpacks
- Eyes are weird and use timetravel to hide your temporary blindness
- How long could you run a human on a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator?
- Scanning your body using antimatter, the same kind that's in bananas
- Don't eat the rich, it isn't healthy. Compost the rich instead.
- Joking about the 7th sense, and how many senses do we have anyway? And how that relates to ADHD.
- Why you can see moving dots when you look at a blue sky
- Winking vs. Blinking, Smiling, Latin Trumpets, and Babylon 5?
- Kodak's Nuclear Reactor and the International Fixed Calendar
- The US Presidential Date System, invented in the 4th Year of Trump
- Windows 95 doesn't know about George W. Bush and his ideas about Daylight Saving Time
The Cold War & Radiation
- Why not put a nuclear reactor in a plane?
- How do you take pictures on a spy satellite in the age of film?
- Can you run a plane on AA batteries? (no) and why the USSR accidentally irradiated Canada.
- Why are Bikinis named after an island that the US nuked?
- Duck and Cover isn't silly propaganda, it's good advice
- Electron Beam Irradiators, Radiation Doesn't ZigZag, Pigs With Nukes, and Keep Your Head Out Of Particle Accelerators
- Gender security, nuclear weapon arming/protection, nuclear submarines and the Scud missile
- How CRTs work and the amazing image of a round nude tube
- How does your computer figure out what monitor you plugged in?
- Planar graphics and why they were used
- Do lights in games use real electricity? Yes, maybe, it depends, no.
Computer Keyboards & Mice & Joysticks
- The looming security implications of mechanical keyboards
- How Keyboards Work
- How can my mouse have 8 buttons if Windows only lets you have 5 buttons?
- The PC Joystick interface is slightly bananas: It's two timers
- How do those serial-to-ps/2 adapters for mice work?
- How Mice Work
- How keyboards communicate keypresses to Windows, and why you can't easily get a keyboard with an Emoji Button
- Why 2038 is The End Of Time
- The connection between Naked Lunch and PNG files
- Punch Cards and the history of IBM
- How did you program in 1962?
- How you can use your CD-ROM driver to stop MS-DOS from booting
- How does your computer know which hard drive is which?
- EZ-Drive/Data Lifeguard/On Track Disk Manager, and how they let you have a hard drive bigger than 500mb
- Why Windows 95 had a "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen and how the boot-screen was animated without being animated
- Why you can't have a file named "aux.h" on Windows
- Bubble Memory: The Next Big Thing that Never Was
- HP LaserJet Font Cartridges and Dot Matrix Printers
- Sony's Optical Disc Archive cartridge, and the history of Optical Libraries
- Web scraping and the many sins of Tumblr
- The endless failures of the Panera Bread & McDonalds websites
- The horrors of hacking and my dad's deathtrap van
- Bad ideas for networks, like water or bullets instead of wires
- Hafnium and the possibility of a nuclear hand-grenade
- Rhodium doesn't cause cancer, it can prevent it! and how that's connected to Bunsen burners
- Dysprosium is why you shouldn't eat a Prius
- Ablative Humanity
- TRANSCRIPT: The 2025 Senate Hearings on the CLEAN SWEEP Satellite's Attempt on Elon Musk's Life
- The Oracle Answers A Question
- Space Cannibalism, aka In-Situ Resource Extraction (outline)
Flea Market (Electronics/De Anza)
- March 2017
- May 2017
- June 2017 and Follow-up with stuff I Got
- July 2017 and Follow-up with stuff I Got
- August 2017 and Follow-up with stuff I Got
- September 2017 and Follow-up with stuff I Got
- April 2018
- May 2018
- August 2018
- April 2019
- May 2019
- June 2019
- September 2019
- How superfloppy drives were able to fit more data on the same size disks as standard floppies
- What does formatting a disk mean, and how it's completely different from hard drives or SSDs
- How USB Floppy Drives use a protocol from Shugart embedded in another protocol from Shugart embedded in another protocol from Shugart and who is this Shugart Guy anyway?
- The cool trick used in double-sided drives
- Why is it Optical Discs, but Floppy Disks? (And how IDE works)
- The spiral-disks of the Famicom Disk System
- River-crossing puzzles
- Amulets & Armor: Is it Doom? And if not, why would anyone think it was?
- How I used a moustache to prevent cheating when playing videogames back in the early 2000s
- Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood is neat and should get a remake
- How game controls have shifted over time
- How DOOM encrypted its cheat codes, and how long did it take someone to figure them out anyway
- Playing through the KFC Visual Novel
- Why PC games don't have ROMs, what a ROM is, and why your Nintendo Switch games are DOOMED
- ExciteBike for the Famicom and how it stored tracks, and what that has to do with batteries and floppy disks
- Pilotwings for the SNES can work differently, even on an identical ROM and the follow-up when the game was released on the Switch
- Companion chips used to enhance SNES games
- Building a generator for Silent Hill 2 is so hard that I get mad and livetweet building a Rambo (NES) generator
- The SNES was designed with NES backwards compatibility in mind, even if it never had it
- How the 10NES chip kept you from playing games if the connector was dirty
- Gaming in the transhumanist future
- SimCity 2000, SimCopter, The Yes Men, and the Bhopal Disaster
- Playing Super Mario Bros on a printer, and why Super Mario Bros 2 is Like That
- The phrasing of Oregon Trail memes, and some history of Apple II ports
- The characters in Super Mario Bros 2 have alien parasites in their eyes
- Doctor James Barry was an awesome trans man you should have learned about in history class
- The woman who took a picture of a black hole, the harassment, and my awesome grandma
My Government Job
- I made a progress bar that was 100% lies
- The Air Force loves World of Warcraft
- Everything is fractal disasters and why there are no New Projects, ever
- The horrors of CSV and how to loophole a government contract to intentionally lose 10 years of data
- Why a free program cost too much for the US government to afford, and why you should never scan anything with Windows 98
- Why we charged you for public domain information that was free
- Why I don't think the US military is fully off floppy disks, why they used them in the first place, and why there's so much weather data from Alaska
- Why I had to virus scan my own files or lose a couple million dollars
- Working for the government was like trying to solve an endless series of programming challenges
- The FBI is probably spying on furries, or Why They Tried To Get Me Fired
US History & Politics
- Florence Nightgale's contribution to statistics, a scam in Ohio, and how to fight a war with counterfeiting
- The Black Hawk War that Sufjan Stevens sung about
- Jury Nullification and how it has been used
- The Goodyear Blimp is none of those three things
The James Webb Ground Device
- It has a twitter account. That makes me angry
- All the other space projects that have launched in the meantime, and why that makes me angry
- Maybe Elon Musk could launch the JWST for free? He didn't, and that makes me angry.
- Can we launch (no pun intended) a kickstarter for NASA to launch the JWST? Because the funding problems make me angry
- McDonald's JWST machine broke... which makes me angry
- Google says you can get a "good telescope" for only 2.5 billion, and that makes me angry.
- How do sci-fi universal translators know when to stop?
- Jabberwocky, the word ye, and why we have two words for cow and two words for feces
- How rebracketing changed English words
- The history of the snowclone "X is hard, let's go shopping"
- Electronic adverts in 1980s Playboys
- Video Games & hardware from PC Review, May 1992
- Hardware from PC Magazine, January 1995
- Input devices and software from Byte, March 1992
- Learning about things you already knew: How written numbers work, how grammatical cases work, and the difference between centralized communist economies and capitalist ones
- Why is there coal? Because trees won the evolutionary arms race.
- The US has had some weird currency and why our current bills are illegal and have to be redesigned, and how Lin-Manuel Miranda messed that up
- How rich is Jeff Bezos? He's a dragon.
- Weird Al's endless licensing issues
- The history of the Rickroll
- If Never Gonna Give You Up is the rickroll of the 80s, what are the rickrolls of other decades?
- How I ended up owing 18k$ because of a single typo
- The horror of the company that had The Repo
- The animals that tried to invade my bedroom as a teen, and the Snake in my PC
- Why the FBI mentioned my old username in a federal investigation
- How do you find the direction to Mecca? What if you're in space?
- Continuity planning for the post-Rapture world
- Nuclear reactors before humans and WHY IS THERE A MOON?
- We learned something about meteorites by setting off a nuclear bomb, and the mystery of the nuclear explosion where there shouldn't have been one
- How we figured out if there's more than one galaxy: Cepheid Variables
- The Challenger disaster, and Normalization of Deviance
- What films did they watch on the International Space Station?
- Does the International Space Station have a "front"?
- The first picture of earth taken from a satellite, and what that has to do with the UK's nuclear missiles
- A spaceship engine that's slower than a snail, and why jet engines are CHEATING
- There are floppy disks on the International Space Station: How'd they get there?
- How can we get power out of a black hole?
Science Fiction & Anime
- Giant robots are stupid and fictional superweapons are weaker than ones we've already deployed
- When is the Golden Age of Star Trek, 1997 or 2020? And then just "boy look at all this 90s sci-fi"
- Alternate casts for Star Trek: TNG? and also, if you released Star Wars one month earlier, Obama wouldn't have been president.
- How uniforms and props from Forbidden Planet kept showing up in later films and shows
- The first episode of Star Trek and why it had to be restored from multiple sources
- Why ebay thinks I want to buy a skirt, and what that has to do with Star Trek and navels
- My idea for a Star Trek fanshow: incredulous starfleet officers reading mission logs
- The original story for Zyuranger, which Power Rangers was based on, involves DINOSAURS and SATAN and I love it
- How Contact keeps its special effects grounded to make it feel more real
- My favorite thing in Sci-Fi: Bullshit Cosmology/Ontology
- That movie where a dragon-rider fights a hydra on the moon
- How I realized a plot point from my Starmap setting was stolen from Asimov's Foundation series
- Star Trek TOS didn't have floppy disks in it. And the data tapes in Star Wars probably aren't tapes. And why the Star Trek timeline is weird
- The neat animation of Akira
- Mechanical animation of Evangelion
- Nintendo Famicom Disk System copy protection/bootlegs, sex machines, explaining PG&E fires to aliens, and alien socialists quarantining earth for the most dangerous meme of all
- Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Ivanova from Babylon 5 meet up for coffee
- Spock's name, and old computers in the far future of Star Trek
- Goodwill Thrifting that got my tires slashed
- Dolls wrapped in Plastic
- Thrifting with Cool Phones and Uranium Glass
- Looking for laserdiscs and finding Tijuana Christmas
- Unisex Rocking
- Laserdiscs in Santa Cruz, and Everflex Balls
- Appropriately weird stuff at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Giant Hard Drives at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- IBM PC/XTs at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- More PCs at Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Test your network with a suitcase at Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Plotters & MPreg at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Minidiscs & a stealthy CRT at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- The Noise Generator at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Vic-20s at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Floppies and Tandy CoCos at the Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Half a car at the very Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Sphygmomanometers and mixer panels at Weird Stuff Warehouse
- Slockets and power adapters
- Minidisc recorders at Excess Solutions
- Prototyping boards and tube-testers at Halted
- Pinball with friends, and thrifting at Urban Ore
Video, Film, & Television
- Why it was hard to make amateur porn films in 1980 and what that has to do with proprietary Sony SSDs
- Early Instant-Replay systems were DEADLY giant hard drives
- How Slip Rings were vital to your VCR, and how helical-scan made VHS tapes small enough to be usable
- How to morph a character on screen in 1960, without cutting, but it'll only work in black & white
- The marketing of Wonder Woman 1984 & the making of Battlefield Earth